Civil Engineer in Training
Who We Are:
Strum Consulting is a 100-person consulting company with diverse projects throughout Atlantic Canada. Strum provides engineering and environmental services for a range of clients in the fields of Renewable Energy, Transportation, Contaminated Sites, and Commercial Developments.
Since 1995, Strum has provided a work environment that encourages career development while maintaining a work life balance in Atlantic Canada. We offer competitive pay, a dynamic work environment, and an excellent benefits package. Please see our website to learn more about the type of work we do www.strum.com.
Strum Consulting, is presently expanding our Civil Engineering Division and has an opening in our Antigonish and in our Bedford office for a Civil Engineer in Training to join our team.
What We Offer:
- Competitive pay and excellent benefits package.
- Work on a wide range of large and small, interesting projects, including new and upcoming technologies.
- Interact with a diverse client base.
- Be part of a team where your input will be noticed and valued.
- Collaboration and room for professional development and career growth.
- Dynamic and flexible work arrangements (e.g., work from home and work from the office).
The position requires a highly motivated individual with both technical and communication skills, a positive attitude, good interpersonal skills, and strong organizational and communication skills. At Strum, we provide a professional, energetic team environment that promotes camaraderie, and collaboration which results in low staff turnover.
As a Civil Engineering in Training, you will support the Engineering Division by applying civil engineering, principles to: project engineering designs, drawings, and plans for commercial, industrial and public land development sites.
- Adhere to Strum’s health and safety program and ensure safety procedures and protocols are followed.
- Assist in the design and the preparation of engineering drawings, plans, reports, sketches and diagrams for a variety of projects.
- Assist in the development of engineering specifications and contracts documents.
- Assist in the preparation of as-builts reflecting alterations to original design.
- Prepare engineering drawings using AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Undertake site visits to review construction work and prepare construction review reports.
- Attend and participate in weekly internal project meetings with the Engineering Division and coordinate with team members to ensure efficient and timely delivery of projects within the schedule.
- Provide clear and concise reporting to supervisors.
- Develop increasing competency with design programs, Word and Excel, through continuing education, training, information sharing with other employees and self-directed study.
- Support existing teams while demonstrating ability to work independently and as part of a larger close-knit team.
Attributes and skills:
- A degree, technical diploma or equivalent training and experience.
- Strong academic record is an asset.
- Engineer in Training or Professional Engineer, licensed or eligible for membership with Engineers Nova Scotia.
- Applicable experience is an asset.
- Consulting background is an asset.
- Willingness to learn and work as a member of a team comprised of surveyors, engineers, technicians, environmental scientists, and biologists.
- Strong attention to detail, motivation, and excellent communications skills.
- Possess professional demeanour and communicate with excellent verbal and written skills in English.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada.
- A valid Nova Scotia Divers License is required.
- Persons who belong to an employment equity group are encouraged to self identify.
- Persons who are of First Nation heritage are encouraged to self identify.