What Activities are Regulated in Nova Scotia?
Some of the activities and industries which require an Industrial Approval in the province of Nova Scotia include:
- Asphalt and Cement Plants
- Quarries and Pits
- Distilleries, breweries, and wineries
- Fish Meal/Silage Plants
- LNG Plants
- Bulk Petroleum Storage
- Sludge and Wastewater Treatment
- Water Withdrawals
- Landfill, Composting, and Solid Waste Operations
This list comprises only a portion of all regulated activities; if you are not certain whether your project requires an approval, please contact us.
What Information is Required for an Approval?
With each Industrial Approval, NSE requires a wide range of environmental and engineering detail. Completing an Approval submission can be a daunting, time consuming process, particularly when staff have daily operations to pursue. Strum can facilitate the process by completing the ‘heavy lifting’, allowing our clients to focus on their core business. Details required by NSE include:
- A process description;
- A development, abandonment, or rehabilitation plan;
- Scale site plans including property boundaries, topography, site buildings, and environmental receptors;
- Stamped engineering drawings and supporting information included for structures and equipment used to treat process waste;
- A description of quality and quantity of air, liquid, and solid waste discharges from the process; and
A contingency plan including:
- Notification procedures;
- Containment and clean-up procedures;
- Site restoration plan; and
- Incident reporting procedures.
How Can Strum Help with your Approval?
Strum offers a variety of services, from design engineering to environmental studies, to assist with your Approval. Whether it’s a new application, renewal, or an amendment, we rely on our extensive experience in the environmental industry along with our engineering capabilities to bridge the gap between industry and regulator. We have helped many clients across Atlantic Canada navigate the
approval process through the following service offerings:
- Civil and mechanical engineering design (including drawings, plans, and specifications);
- Surface and groundwater monitoring programs;
- Topographic surveys;
- Wetland delineation, watercourse assessments, mammal, and bird surveys;
- Stormwater management plans;
- Hydrogeological assessments and water withdrawal approvals;
- Regulatory correspondence and resolve compliance issues;
- Erosion and sedimentation control plans; and
- Process description and application document compilation
Have an Existing Approval?
Strum can assist by fine tuning the conditions and requirements in your existing Approval. Often, with time, conditions will change. As a site operation matures, there may be times when changes to a process occur or are required. For example, there may be opportunities to reduce or fine tune sampling requirements, or alter processes that save considerable time and operating expense. Strum can help review those original Approval requirements and conditions and prepare submissions to update Approval requirements. Examples of changes can be a reduction in sampling or monitoring at a site, or developing alternatives to existing processes in ways that make site operations more cost effective, eliminating unnecessary cost, and monitoring costs. For more information regarding industrial approvals email email@example.com or contact one of our 4 offices.